Sunday, July 29, 2012

The All American!


I didn’t cook dinner last night. I, like most of the country most of the world for that matter, was glued to my television watching the 2012 London Olympics. Dinner was planned but it would have to wait. You see, I couldn’t miss Phelps or Lochte in the 400m individual medley, and as a proud New Yorker there was no way in hell’s kitchen was I going to miss Bronx born John Orozco or the rest of those cute young men on our Men’s Gymnastics team over take Britain in the qualifiers. I am a huge sports fan every four years and TeamUSA is always my home team!!! Inspired by their success so far led me to think, what is an all American meal? I sort of drew a blank there for a moment. We have burgers, casseroles, barbecue and last but never least good ole apple pie; but I didn’t want any of those things.
After some craving and fridge raiding I came up with Chicken and Waffles. I mean what’s better than chicken and waffles; shoot its right up there with steak and eggs in Americana cookery.

Ingredients:

Waffles:
¾ cup all purpose flour
1 ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
¾ cup grated parmesan
5 large basil leaves, chiffonade
¾ cup of corn kernels fresh off the cob*
2 cups buttermilk
3 large eggs, separated
½ stick butter, melted
*microwave the cob with husk on for 2 ½ minutes. When cool enough to handle use a sharp knife and cut the kernels away from the cob. Scrap down the cob with the back of the knife to release the “milk”.

 Berry Medley Syrup:
2 tbsp strawberry preserves
2 tbsp blackberry preserves
1 tbsp raspberry preserves
2 tbsp orange juice
¼ cup of water
Bring to a gentle simmer for 5 min in small saucepan and set aside.

 1 white peach, quartered and grilled

Chicken:
4 pieces of chicken cutlets seasoned and breaded to your taste. I chose to season mine with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. I also added those same spices to my flour and panko bread crumbs.

Directions:
1.       Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the center, set aside and begin to whisk 3 egg whites to medium peaks.
2.       Mix buttermilk, 3 egg yolks, corn kernels, basil and parmesan cheese in another bowl then add to dry, stir slowly into almost combined. Then add butter mix until just incorporated.
3.       Using a whisk fold the whites into the batter gently, it’s okay if you see a few small lumps they will cook out in the waffle iron. (You can also turn this recipe into corn griddle cakes if you want!)
4.       Keep your waffles warm in an oven holding at 200 degrees while you finish up the batter and fry your chicken. I also grilled a white peach at this point on my stove top griddle pan.
5.       Now just build your plate, waffles, chicken, grilled fruit if you’re using and the berry medley syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment