Monday, January 8, 2018

Because it was cold outside and I was short on time.


Cold weeknights in New York are the worst. Don’t get me wrong—all that know me know what is coming next—I love my city, but the grind to just get home after a long frustrating day of work is not fun or conducive to stable mental & physical health. It is beyond frustrating to know that you have to rush home, rush to the market, rush to prepare a deliciously satisfying meal that can be used for dinner and as lunch the next day. I believe some of the stress is self-inflected. When we are having a bad day we want something that is going to comfort us when we get home, and most of those comforting dishes can’t be made on the fly. So unless you prepped your crock-pot that morning or planned a meal ready for the pressure cooker you feel shit out of luck. This happens to me too often to count, so I just end up not cooking. When I tell friends I didn’t cook the night before or I went to bed without dinner they look at me crazy. They say, “But you’re a cook?” or those who support me the most will say, “But you’re a chef?” With the most quizzical looks on their faces, God bless them. So basically, I get it and it’s tough, but it’s doable. 
I love pork!! Pork anything comforts me. Pork makes me happy, pork makes me smile, pork is life. That said, this past Wednesday I decided I wanted to have a comforting quicker than lightning meal, and Pan Roasted Pork Chops with Balsamic Brussel Sprouts fit the bill. Oh, yeah, and I only used 1 pan. 
Pan Roasted Pork Chops with Balsamic Brussel Sprouts
  • 2 1” thick center cut pork chops
  • 1lb brussel sprout, cleaned and trimmed, sliced in half
  • 1 medium red onion, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced into quarters
  • Maldon sea salt*
  • Fresh cracked black pepper
  • 1 packet of Sa-Son Ac’cent seasoning*
  • 2 Pequin pepper pods, crushed* 
  • 1/4 cup canola oil w/ splash of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar de Modena.
  1. Heat oven to 425 F. Season chops with a good pinch of salt, pepper and 1/2 of the seasoning packet. 
  2. Heat an oven safe 11” skillet on the stove top over medium high heat for about 2 minutes. Add oil to pan and when hot and shimmering sear pork chops on all sides. About 3 minutes each. 
  3. Remove chops from pan and set aside. Pour out oil leaving about 1 tbsp to sauté the vegetables. If you feel the pan needs more oil, add another splash of  olive oil. Lower heat to medium.
  4. Place sprouts and onions cut side down. Season with a generous pinch of salt, pepper, and remaining seasoning salt. Let them brown about 5 minutes. 
  5. Add vinegar to pan stir (toss) veg to deglaze, add crushed Pequin pepper, toss. Place chops on top of veg, returning juices back to pan. Place in oven and roast for 15-20 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 145 F or 150 for those of you who can’t tolerate any blush in their pork. Place chops on a plate or meat block to rest 5 minutes. Taste sprouts and adjust seasoning if needed. 


These two chops are thick enough to serve 2-3 people if sliced on the bias before serving. Serve with whatever you like to drink with pork. I like malted drinks but I don’t like alcohol too much so a Malta is my go to, don't judge me! Do what comforts you. 

Good eating!
*Any seasoning salt you like or none at all; 2 pinches red pepper flakes; any sea salt you have or course kosher salt will do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment