Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Juno Hunker Down Stew


The first blizzard of 2015 hit some in the North East with a wallop. Today New York City woke up to 8-12 inches of snow throughout the five boroughs.

Sunday evening found me prepping by getting my Pork, Bean, and Kale soup ready to throw into the slow cooker come Monday. Unfortunately I ran out the door so fast Monday morning, 6:20am-so not normal for me, I forgot to get that going. Oh well, I told myself. At least I was able to get my much needed coffee and lunch in my bag. I went into work early on Monday morning because I knew the impact the storm would have for my department at Cornell. Not to mention the multiple surgeries scheduled for today, which were safely rescheduled-not to toot my own horn-because I had the foresight to start early. 

Once home and divested of my winter gear and fully thawed, because yes, I was forced once again to walk from my train stop all the way home a total for 25 very long streets (MTA bus lines cannot run in snow, ugh) I started in on my soup making.

Fortunately this was not huge pork chunks that needed simmering all day to soften. This was whatever was in the freezer-Sirloin thick cut chops and farmers sausage-and whatever was in the cupboards. An earlier conversation with the bestie reminded me I had red lentils so I swapped out the beans for lentils and there you have it, Juno Hunker Down Stew (Pork and Red Lentil) lol. I was very happy with the turn out, and I can't wait to see pics of the bestie's version. She will be using green lentils and ham hocks. Just wish we lived closer so I could taste. Hey Mel, freeze some for me, please!!

3 thick cut sirloin chops (whichever fatty pork cuts you prefer)
3 quarts of water
4 medium carrots
3 celery stalks
1 large yellow onion
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp dried thyme
½ tbsp. Tomato paste
1 tsp brown mustard
Whole black pepper corns
Sriracha
Allspice berries
Turmeric
Smoked paprika
Cumin
Curry powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. Jasmin rice
¾ cup red lentils, picked clean
2 inch chunk of Salchichon (Farmer's Pork Sausage), diced
Cilantro
Lime
  1.  Set the pork chops to boil in 3 quarts of water over high heat with 2 stalks of celery, ½ the onion, 2 carrots, 1 bay leaf, 4 peppercorns and 1 all spice berry. Once it boils lower heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour. Make sure you skim the junk off the top.
  2. Once the broth is done dice up the remaining onion, slice the celery and carrots on a bias. Heat 3tbsp of olive oil in pot over medium heat and sauté the vegetables, thyme and bay leaf, seasoned with ½ tsp salt and ½ pepper. Once the onions look translucent add ¼ tsp each, cumin, turmeric, paprika, and curry powder. Let the spices bloom about 2 minutes, then add tomato paste, mustard, Sriracha, and garlic. Cook stirring for 2 minutes more.
  3. Take the chops out of the broth and remove meat from bone tearing the meat up with your hands. Add to pot with diced salcichon, and stir coating meat. Add 1/2 tsp salt. Strain broth into pot, add bones and rice, simmer covered 10 minutes.
  4. Remove bay leaf and add the lentils. Stir gently, then simmer covered 20 minutes then uncovered for 10. Red Lentils break down so don't be alarmed. You will have a thick chunky stew.
  5. Stir in 1 tbsp chopped cilantro and serve with a lime wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment